Search Perth Life and Food

Friday, October 16, 2009

Bibik Chan's Satay Restaurant

So here is a short story from last year, a few friends and I decided to go get dinner in the Nedlands area for some reason. A few of them decided it would be great to check out this satay place called Bibik Chan's, which is situated opposite that Nando's on Stirling highway.

Its a quaint little restaurant, with typical asian decor and low lighting. Gets you into that intimate, satay eating mood that we all need sometimes. First impressions were good, but they did not last.

Surveys suggest that people these days rate quality of service as perhaps even more important then the quality of food at a restaurant. Surveys are correct in this case.

Our first hurdle came when we were ordering our dinner. A major, unforgivable sin for any asian restaurant was commited. They had...

SOLD OUT OF RICE.

Seriously, what asian restaurant runs out of rice? The bread and butter (sorry, probably conflicting expression there), the SOUL of asian cuisine? Satay is all well and good, but where is our contrast? Where is the substance of rice to complement the sharp flavours of the sauces and to fill us to satisfaction?

The hired service was also a little hard to communicate with as I suspected a possible language barrier had been erected between us. Our satay orders ended up coming in the wrong numbers, receiving one or two sticks less then we paid for.

I also found this bit of miscommunication amusing. As I was feeling a little thirsty, I hailed a waitress and asked her if I could please have a cup of water. She then proceeded to give me a puzzled look and asked me if I actually meant a glass of water. No, I actually meant a cup not a glass, how could you get the two confused- waitress lady, I am VERY particulate about my self-hydration vessels. Haha, just kidding I didn't say that, but I did managed to squeeze out a confused "yes?" in reply.

Anyway the satay tasted quite nice, and was quite cheap- for satay. It was just so difficult to enjoy due to the unfortunate set of circumstances for the night. Bibik chan's might, on a good day, be a quality restaurant, but inconsistencies in quality of service will definitely bring down its appeal. Second impressions do tend to last.

------------------------------
Overall rating: 4/10
Prices: 10-15 a main
Address: 134 Stirling Hwy, Perth, 6009

Opening Hours
Sunday: 5:00pm to 11:00pm
Monday: 12:00pm to 2:30pm
Tuesday: 12:00pm to 2:30pm
Wednesday: 12:00pm to 2:30pm
Thursday: 12:00pm to 2:30pm
Friday: 12:00pm to 2:30pm
Saturday: 5:00pm to 11:00pm

Phone
(08) 9386 8492
-----------------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment